file A Quick Listen

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Sorry Anthem,
I just saw this today Buddy, how are you doing?
This is a very interesting report, and it has me wondering.
I am NOT doubting what you are hearing at all, you are the man with the Golden Ears!!!!
And I did go to the website for your new cables, which look great, BTW--long, but if that is what you have to have then, should be no problem---and they say these Plus cables need 150-300 hours to fully break in. So I would think perhaps you have not listened to them enough. Just take a few weeks off work and tell your boss (at work or at home) that you need the time to listen to your speaker cables "ripen". Good luck with that one. ha ha
Seriously, if you don't mind, would you try this: Power everything else off when you power down, but leave your CD player on all the time. You said the sound changes after 5-7 mins when coming up from cold. See if you hear that brightness if your CD player is not powered down.
Just something to try. My rule is: if it is digital, leave it on!!!! I never power down anything digital unless I am gonna be away for more than a day.
IF you try this, please let me know what happens? I am guessing it is more your CD player than your cables. But what do I know?
God Bless my friend, have fun listening, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Hey Wayne:

Received your post a couple days ago. Thanks for the suggestion. Thursday morning turned on CD player 2 hours before listening. Results - negative. Last night l powered on at 7pm and will leave in that mode for the remainder of weekend. Will do more more (ear sampling) over the next couple of days. Looked on the internet at what others think about leaving digital powered up at all times. Everyone has different opinion... go figure. Will let you know the verdict as time goes by.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Thanks to write and answer Anthem,
Let me know what you find out. It was just an idea, and worth a try. It seems more likely to me that it would be something else rather than the cables, but who knows? The cables might still break in and get over that brightness for the first few mins. Or you might find it is something else.
The good news is, about your cables, they must be revealing enough now for you to hear something like this!!!!!
You could have worse problems.
Enjoy and let us know, all the best Dude!!!!
Wayne

• Visitor
  • Visitor
dave@get Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Hi all,

Since I'm still new to the forums I'm trying to catch up on the posts of interest. Over in the "Currently Playing" thread I introduced myself, if not seen, just a quick reiteration. I'm Dave, Director of Sales for the Western US & Canada for GoldenEar. My history with Sandy and his companies goes back a bit, first to the mid-'70s when I became the proud owner of a pair of Polk 10s. I couldn't afford DQ-10s at the time and the Polk 10 had more 'punch' anyway, more to my needs at the time (college days...). Later I worked at a retailer selling Polk, then was lucky enough to get a job with Polk. After 13 years there I joined Definitive Tech and after 11 years there I took a short detour into the high-end power conditioning and electronics world with PS Audio. About 18 months later I had the opportunity of a lifetime - to join GoldenEar at the get-go. Yeah, I'm a pretty lucky guy. OK, so I told more here than over in C.P., meh, so you have to hop around if you care to learn about me. I'm happy to answer questions about products from former companies should you have any, but please don't ask me for sonic comparisons of the brands. That's for you to decide.

Back to a recent comment, though. I have found in my experience that low-level gear needs more warmup time than power amps. I can't say why, it's just what I've found. So I concur with the recommendation to leave your CD player on. DAC and preamp, too, if you're using them. I don't always have to opportunity to listen every day, so I try to plan ahead and have the low-level gear powered up 12 hours or more (ideally) in advance. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my power amps come around nicely after only 30 minutes or so of being powered up. To 'tweak' a bit more, I like to play my Sheffield MDMS disc and/or the XLO conditioning tracks before listening. Has anyone else tried conditioning discs/tracks? This is beyond "a quick listen" to Triton Twos, so maybe needs a new topic if any interest?

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Dave, Thanks for your knowledgeable input. So for you it is not only digital gear, but low level gear that needs to be left on all time?
Interesting.
What about our Triton 2s or 3s? How long do you reckon they need to be powered up to "warm up"?
I have not heard of a conditioning disc.
Please share all your knowledge with us of all things Golden, GoldenEar and Musical.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave@get

• SanthoshEapen's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 172
SanthoshEapen Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Wayne, I have been thinking of upgrading my amplifier. What do you think of the Vincent SV800? It is available here from audioadvisor.com on sale for $3750. I am tempted to buy it, but am nervous of doing it without hearing it.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back