file Will a seperate subwoofer really add any bass to 2.0 channel stereo music?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Glad you followed those suggestions, still doesn't sound correct. And I think you are misunderstanding the bass management functions. When Main speakers are set to Large there is no subwoofer signal (LFE) unless you are playing a multichannel source with .1 content (or if you select the double bass option). Unless something is setup wrong or you have a dramatic bass issue in your room, there must be a position on the Tritons bass control, with no subwoofer in your system (Sub set to NO) that produces a balanced bass level on two channel music. If you want more bass then the recording contains, than there are a million things you can do to augment (ask Art, he's tried them all), but that's a different story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Richd,
I had the exact same problem with a Marantz AV 7705.
The only way I could get enough bass was with the LFE connected and setting LFE+Main. Even though everyone said not to, that was the ONLY setting where there was anywhere near enough bass.
Got rid of the Marantz, got a bigger sub and everything is fine now.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Interesting, thanks Wayne.

I am not surprised to hear this in some regards - I have many times been faced with a HT receiver-based system that the owner said didn't sound right. When subbing in a basic analog stereo integrated amplifier, suddenly everything was perfect. I don't trust the digital processing going on in today's modern receivers, especially the "affordable" ones. Under-powered amplifier sections that play with bass levels "allowed" under various bass management setups has been a known evil for quite some time. I am sure others are lurking as well.

I would never be satisfied with the solution you suggest, but, to each their own. If you like it, its good.

• Richd's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 26
Richd Posted 6 years 5 months ago

Moderator wrote: Glad you followed those suggestions, still doesn't sound correct. And I think you are misunderstanding the bass management functions. When Main speakers are set to Large there is no subwoofer signal (LFE) unless you are playing a multichannel source with .1 content (or if you select the double bass option). Unless something is setup wrong or you have a dramatic bass issue in your room, there must be a position on the Tritons bass control, with no subwoofer in your system (Sub set to NO) that produces a balanced bass level on two channel music. If you want more bass then the recording contains, than there are a million things you can do to augment (ask Art, he's tried them all), but that's a different story.

Hi Moderator,
The bass CAN be adjusted to match the output of the mids and highs by turning the volume control on the backs of the towers, but I shouldn't have to get up and physically adjust that for each song or album because there is no adjustment available in the pre-pro via remote control because the settings are all turned off.
I just set the Tritons to large with "No Subwoofer" set in the 2 ch playback menu and had to turn the volume knob on the back of the Tritons from 12 o'clock (which is my standard setting) to 2:30 and still had to adjust the "tone" bass setting all the way up to +6db (which is the maximum) to get the proper balance of bass, to the mids, and highs. I really don't want to go through this routine every time I listen to music. If you have a more viable solution, I am very open to more suggestions to circumvent this scenario.
Thanks for your help and suggestions

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 5 months ago
Yeah, Moderator Dude, it was not right.
But these are not receivers, they are only processors, with external amps providing the power, at least mine was and I THINK that is what Richd has too.
Otherwise the sound was pretty good from the Marantz, I am a fan of theirs. Audyssey was horrible to me, and bass mgmt was rubbish in my opinion. Had to change out the whole processor. Now with the Emotiva XMC-1 I am a happy camper.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Understood. I'm with Wayne on this one, its the receiver. Do whatever you need to to achieve satisfying performance. I can't really make any suggestions beyond saying that this performance you describe is not "normal".

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Will a seperate subwoofer really add any bass to 2.0 channel stereo music?